Matrimonial Real Property (MRP) – what is it?

Matrimonial real property can include land held by one or both spouses or common-law partners and used by the family, ie. houses, sheds, mobile homes or other structures on that land. It does not include things such as cars, money, clothing or televisions.

In the event of death, divorce or separation, people living off-reserve have provincial law rights and protections regarding their family home. These provincial law rights and protections do not apply to those living on reserve.

To give people living on reserves comparable protections and rights as those living off reserve, a law was put in place on Dec 16, 2013, called the Family Home on Reserves and Matrimonial Interests or Rights Act (the Act).

For the full ISC legislation, follow this link.

More information is available at the aboriginal legal aid website.


Gitanyow Band


Gitanmaax Band

Glen Vowell

Sik-e-dakh Band